Everybody wants to get a slim trim body and most importantly without working out. Needless to say, Exercise is certainly important but to your rescue some healthy food products are available that can promise you a significant amount of weight loss. One such easily available food that can be seen in most of the diet plans suggested by many nutritionists is BRAN. But have you ever wondered why the nutritionist suggests including BRAN in most of the cases? Before answering that let me explain you in a simpler way, what exactly is BRAN.
BRAN is nothing but the chokar (in hindi) which is the hard outer layer found in wheat, oats and other similar food products. While processing, this outer layer is kept aside and becomes a byproduct called bran. Since, we are living in an era where pure food is a luxury and most of our work are sedentary, we look for easy methods and simple food that can do some wonders to our body.
Health Benefits of BRAN
- The most important reason why we are discussing the importance of BRAN is it aids to weight loss.
- Rich in dietary fiber and improves immune system.
- Its regular use, can promise you a clean digestive system and.
- It controls diabetes, due to the presence of minerals that helps in releasing insulin from the body.
- Controls blood pressure.
- It can be also used as a beauty scrub resulting in a glowing skin.
How to Include BRAN in Regular Diet
Breakfast is the most important part of your daily meal which most of you neglect without any guilt. Many thinks that skipping breakfast would shed some calories for them. On the contrary that lowers your metabolism resulting in no weight loss. You must be thinking it’s easy for me to pen down the benefits but who has the time as mornings are the busiest time of the day. Well! Have a look at these easy breakfasts that can be prepared in 5-10 minutes and are loaded with essential nutrients.
Coming to wheat bran flakes (you can find them easily in any super market or try amazon or other online websites), these are a wholesome food packed with fiber and other important minerals like iron, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Zinc and vitamins like B₁, B₃, B₅, B₆, B₁₂, C and vitamin E.
Add this high fiber bran flakes in your breakfast bowl, full of milk, some walnuts, almonds and chopped fruits. You can substitute milk with yogurt if you are not a milk lover. Now some expert advice to consume soy or skimmed milk but any milk other than full cream works for me.
Important Tip: Instead of sugar or honey just add your favorite fruits in moderation as fruits act as natural sweetener.
Often the dietitians suggest adding a small portion of bran to your regular wheat flour dough and then make chapaatis/roti out of it. That’s because too much of bran can lead to diarrhea and secondly due to its hard texture the rotis can’t be made.
Best way to use: The ratio is usually 50:50, so I use half cup of bran and half cup of regular wheat flour to make my atta dough. More importantly, since the texture of the bran flour is slightly coarse, try to knead the dough 20-30 minutes before making the chapaatis and do not use the same dough for the next day. I also use 1-2 tsp of flax seed powder that helps in regularizing my metabolism.
If you love to bake your own breads/pizzas/muffins/cakes, then adding a small portion of bran to the mixture would bring you good health in abundance. Of course you need to watch the proportion to get the same fluffiness and softness.
Coating your Kababs:
Replace the bread crumbs with the wheat bran powder and enjoy the kababs and meatballs with the added health benefits. Instead of deep frying, try to grill the snacks.
Use it as Seasoning:
Sprinkle the wheat bran powder in your fruits, fruit juices, yogurt (raita), vegetables and soups to add the fiber intake.
- Store the wheat bran in your refrigerator.
- Drink lot of water if you plan to include bran in your diet which would help in easy digestion.
- Not suitable for people having weak digestive system, hence consult a doctor or nutritionist before including it in your diet.
- Make sure to READ the ingredients of the wheat bran packet you purchase from the market. According to the University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health, the wheat bran cereal should have 100 % of whole wheat, at least 5 grams of fiber and less than 8 grams of sugar per serving. Kindly avoid the brand which has more percentage of sugar in the wheat bran packet. Also, the wheat bran cereal coated with sugar or honey again can be avoided as it won’t give you the results you are looking for.
Add this simple food ingredient to your daily diet and wait to see the magic of quick weightloss. It is an effective way to achieve the desired and fast weight loss and suitable for those who have thousands of reason of not working out 🙂 Well! Expert claims that 80% of healthy diet and 20% of exercise can give you a healthy body so I guess, no harm in adding some healthy food ingredients to our diet.
Do comment or write to me if you have any query regarding this post and stay tuned with samudrika for more such easy tips. Also, don’t forget to share this post with your friends and colleagues.